Speaker: Dr. Marnie Crumpler
Date: January 22, 2017
Text: Living Large: Following Jesus In The Home
Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
1. The apostle Paul tells us that in order to be Christian disciples we need to take action. That action is clothing ourselves with Christ's character. How do we do that? What are some tools or means that God has given us to grow in grace? How are you using these tools in your own life?
2. Martin Luther said, "The family is the smallest church." How does your family shape and develop one another's faith Do you worship together-at home or with the church? What is one thing you could do to invest in growing one another's faith?
3. It's more important, and certainly more realistic, to have grace in family relationships than perfection. How can you intentionally grow as a grace-filled family?
4. We're told to "let the peace of Christ rule in [our] hearts." How do we experience the peace of Christ? How do we get it?
5. The peace of Christ seems to be related to the "word of Christ" dwelling richly in us. How do we get the "word of Christ" into our souls? Which of the list of things given in verse 16 appeal to you especially? Why?
6. Paul sums up by saying, "whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him" (17). What does it mean to do something "in the name of Christ"? Does acting in such a way change how you think about parts of your life?
We acknowledge how difficult it is to live in perfect accordance with our faith in the Lord Jesus, especially at home. Thank you for your promise that your Spirit dwells within us and is working to transform us--moment by moment--into the likeness of Christ. Help us to submit to that work and also to actively pursue godliness. Help us to live out the virtues listed here in order that together we may bring you glory and honor. Amen.